Sakrebailu Elephant Camp is located in Malenadu region on the Shimoga Thirthahalli road, around 14 Km from Shimoga. Sakrebailu is an eco-tourism center. It Serves as a camp house for several captive elephants and they are trained by skilled Mahouts.
The Camp is located on the banks of River Tunga.
Karnataka State Government has taken the initiative to protect these elephants and let them live in the wilderness. The eco-tourism center facilitates tourists as well as local people to visit the camp to witness the tuskers in proximity. The tourists can watch the bathing of elephants by Mahouts in Tunga River early in the morning.
Facts Check about Sakrabailu Elephant Camp
- Timings: 8:30 AM to 11 AM Everyday
- Best Time to Visit: Any season
- Entry Fee: Rs 30 for Indian visitors and Rs 100 for Foreigners.
- Elephant Ride: For adults: INR 75/- and for kids (5-13) is INR 38/-
- Duration of the Visit: 2-3 hours.
Things to Do in Sakrabailu Elephant Camp
- Elephant bathing can be witnessed if you visit before 8 in the morning.
- Visitors can feed the elephant with the special food prepared by the Mahouts. No outside food is allowed. Only the food prepared by the Kavadis who are the elephant attendants can be fed.
- Elephant riding is allowed in the camp. The ride will take you to the camp and will be a pleasurable trip to cherish.
- Tourists can enjoy a walk around the lush green landscape and even witness the wilderness of the forests.
How to Reach Sakrabailu Elephant Camp
Shimoga is well connected to major places in Karnataka. Sakrabailu Elephant camp is around 14 km from Shimoga and 288km from Bangalore. Several buses ply from various places in Karnataka to Shimoga or via Shimoga. Hence Shimoga is well connected. From Shimoga, tourists can hire a taxi to reach Sakrabailu Elephant Camp.
Nearest railway station is Shimoga. Major stations in Karnataka are well connected to Shimoga via rail. Tourists can travel to Shimoga from any part of Karnataka. From Shimoga railway station, tourist can hire a taxi or even take up local buses to reach Sakrabailu Elephant camp.
Mangalore Airport is around 165 km from Shimoga. From the airport, private vehicles and even taxis are available.