How to reach Sriharikota space station
Sriharikota is well known for, Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC), ISRO‘s one of the launch pads in India. It has become a tourist attraction as ISRO is actively using this center for multiple launches from past few years.
If you are planning to visit this place, below are few options.
Nearest Railway station : Sullurpeta
Distance : 18 kms from Sriharikota
Transport : limited public transport from Sullurpeta to Sriharikota. Shared autos will charge Rs 30/person. ISRO organizes bus service from Sullupeta bus stand to Sriharikota main gate and they charge Rs 50/person.
Regular buses are available from all major cities. Nearest will be Chennai which is approx 80kms away
By Car (from Bangalore)
Via Tirupati : 352 kms and takes approx 8hrs
Via Chennai : 450kms and takes approx 9hrs (best route as the roads are good)
- Tirupati Airport (TIR), Andhra Pradesh
130 kms and takes approx 3hrs by car
- Chennai Airport (MAA) , Tamil Nadu
124 kms away and takes approx 3hrs by car
- You need prior permission to get in and around the Satish Dhawan Space Station
To witness the launch activities, register online to avail the pass. More info on the steps in this blog : ISRO chandrayaan-2 online registration
There are no hotels in Sriharikota. Sullurpeta is the nearest town where you can find few hotels which are not that great. You will have to manage with whatever is available. If you are travelling with kids, then please pack some home food
Attractions in Space theme park
- Launch view gallery : viewers can sit and watch the satellite launch. Seating capacity of 5000 people
- Space Museum : showcases the growth and history of our Indian space programme
- Rocket Garden : rocket models and posters are available for visitors to buy